Saturday, June 11, 2011

Fibular Hemimelia Post Surgery Day 4 - Got Our Walking Papers

Okay, for anyone with an upcoming surgery for a tibia lengthening, this was our schedule.

Monday -Pre-op appointment with Dr. Standard --make sure your physical forms have been faxed BEFORE you get here.  I had to hunt down Ethan's form at the pediatrician and have it re-faxed.
Tuesday -I left the OR at 9:20 and saw Ethan in the recovery room at 12:45.  We moved to a room at 3:00.  Uneventful day --the epidural kept him pain free and he was quite calm.     
Wednesday -Saw the PA; Ethan had physical therapy -- a few exercises.  Got into the wheelchair to go to the playroom.  Epidural was great!
Thursday -Saw the PA; another round of physical therapy -a few exercises.  Epidural was still in; back to the playroom.  Started pin care.
Friday -Epidural cut in half at 12:00am, decreased more at 6:00am, and removed at 7:00am.  Very difficult transition to pain medication. Saw Dr. Standard today.  Got the "turning" schedule and PT schedule.   Refused PT and refused to get into the wheelchair.  After much medication, including Ativan --to make him relax, he calmed down by 5:00 pm and slept through the night.
Saturday -Different child!  Much better, seems adjusted to the pain meds, willing to try walking --although it was not super successful (very painful and scary), he walked from the bed to the hall with the help of the PT assistant and stood to go to the bathroom, etc.  We were discharged from the hospital at noon and wheeled across the road to the Hackerman Patz House.

Each journey in life begins with a small step, and Ethan took his today.  Although it was quite shaky and painful, I was so proud of his courage and willingness to take that first step.  It will get easier, I know, but I'll remember this moment when despite his fear and trepidation, he put one foot in front of the other.  Do you need some inspiration? Then here's a moment that will inspire you: share in it with me.

Thank you, Lord, for this little boy, who sang in the elevator on our way down to leave, "Blessed be the name of the Lord; blessed be his glorious name."